If regular diet and exercise haven’t proven to be effective in your attempts to lose weight and you continue to struggle with obesity, then gastric bypass surgery may be right for you.
About Gastric Bypass Surgery
gastric bypassRoux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery is one of the most successful bariatric surgery procedures. It works by dividing the stomach into two separate pouches, an upper pouch and lower pouch. The smaller pouch is then connected to the lower portion of the small intestine. The small intestine is re-arranged to connect to both pouches. The amount of food you are able to consume is restricted due to the size of the newly created stomach pouch.
By limiting your nutritional and caloric intake, you can lose more weight within a shorter amount of time. On average, most patients who choose to undergo gastric bypass surgery at our Ciudad Juárez practice lose 10 to 20 pounds every month for a year. This form of bariatric surgery poses a lower complication rate than other weight loss surgical treatments; however, it is not reversible.
What to Expect
After the laparoscopic small incisions, your surgeon will begin treatment by making an incision across the top of your stomach. This incision divides your stomach into two parts, both of which are sealed off from one another. The newly created, small upper pouch is able to hold less than one cup of food. An incision is then created in the lower portion of your small intestine and the upper pouch is connected to it.
The resizing of your stomach and rerouting of your intestine is designed to make you consume smaller amounts of food and digest that food more quickly. Because the food will enter a lower portion of your bowels, much of the food’s nutritional and caloric elements will not be processed or broken down. Gastric bypass surgery allows obese patients to drop weight faster and maintain healthy eating habits. As with every type of weight loss surgery we perform, gastric bypass surgery only gives you the tools to lose weight; it is up to you to dedicate yourself to leading a healthier lifestyle. After the initial recovery period, and a commitment to healthy lifestyle changes, patients can expect to achieve lasting, positive results.
Type 2 diabetes may be reduced in some patients, usually leading to a normal blood sugar without medication
- Advantages of the Gastric Bypass
- Hyperlipidemia is corrected in over 70% of patients
- Essential hypertension is relieved in over 70% of patients and medication requirements are usually reduced in the remainder
- Obstructive sleep apnea is markedly improved with weight loss and bariatric surgery may be curative for sleep apnea
- Snoring also improves in most patients
- Type 2 diabetes may be reduced in some patients usually leading to a normal blood sugar without medication, sometimes within days of surgery
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease is relieved in almost all patients
- Venous thromboembolic disease signs such as leg swelling are typically alleviated
- Lower back pain and joint pain are typically relieved or improved in nearly all patients
- 80-85% off the excess weight is achieved with this procedure
- The overall quality of life for patients improves greatly